You might have seen my post today about how I was going to share some tips about what are great superfoods to add to your dishes. Back in December I got a book called Superfoods. The 50 Best Foods for you! Love this book! I must say that I already eat a lot of these in my food but still interesting to see why its all healthy. The superfood I will be talking about today is something that pretty much everyone uses in most meals. It doesn’t matter what kind of cuisine it is but it is used a lot! Can you guess what it is?
Garlic!! Not only does garlic add a lot of delicious flavor to your meal but it is very very healthy! Garlic bulbs are a useful antibiotic and are also believe to reduce the risk of both heart disease and cancer. Also garlic may prevent formation of blood clots and arterial plaque and as a result prevent heart disease. Regular garlic consumption can reduce the risk of colon, stomach, and prostate cancers. Other tips for cooking with garlic: Crush or chop garlic and let stand for a few minutes before cooking. Eating parsley after a garlic meal may reduce any mouth odor.
Now for a yummy garlic recipe:
– 2 garlic bulbs
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 12 ounces mushrooms
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
– 8 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
– salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 f. Seperate the garlic bulbs into cloves and lightly crush them. Place in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle 2 teaspoon of the oil over the garlic cloves, season generously with salt and pepper, and roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the garlic from the oven and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil. Return to the oven and roast for an additional 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, then peel the cloves.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil from the roasting dish, the remaining oil, and the mushrooms to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
4. Add the garlic cloves, parsley and scallions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.