I cooked dinner for my brother and I today and it was pretty awesome. I still had chicken at home so decided to make something with that. I went looking for a recipe in one of my new cookbooks from the book market: The African and Middle Eastern cookbook. I made it with some black rice, white rice, and some veggies. Sooo here is the recipe:
– 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
– 4 portions chicken leg
– 1 large onion, grated
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup finely chopped pecans
– 5 tbsp. pomegranate puree (I couldn’t find that so I used pomegranate juice)
– 1 tbsp. tomato puree
– 2 tbsp. lemon juice
– 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
– 3-4 saffron threads dissolved in 1 tbsp. boiling water
– salt and ground black pepper
Steps to awesome chicken:
1. Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a large pan and sauté the chicken until golden brown.
2. Add half of the grated onion to the chicken and fry until slightly softened, then add the water and salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a small pan or frying pan and fry the remaining onion for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
4. Add the chopped pecans to the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes over a low heat, stirring frequently and taking great care that the nuts don’t burn.
5. Stir in the pomegranate and tomato purees, lemon juice, sugar and the saffron liquid. Season to taste and then simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Pour the walnut sauce over the chicken, ensuring all the pieces are well covered. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until the meat is cooked and the oil of the nuts has risen to the surface.
7. Serve immediately with the rice and salad leaves.