I have a new favorite dish, CURRY. I made it a few days ago and then again last night, and it is delicious! The fun thing about it is that you can adapt it very easily by just switching up a couple of ingredients. I found a recipe online that looked really good as a base, then I just added my own little twist on it.
My added ingredients were eggplant and shrimps, and they really lifted the recipe and brought a whole other dimension to the dish. Obviously adding different ingredients that you think would work are also great, and if you do decide to do that I would love to hear what your twist on it is!
– 1 Cup Mung Beans (soaked for a few hours if possible)
– ¼ to 1/3 Cup High-heat vegetable cooking oil
– 1 Tablespoon Cumin seeds
– 2 Tablespoons chopped Garlic
– 2 Cups pureed tomatoes
– 2 Tablespoons chopped Ginger
– 2 Tablespoons ground Coriander
– 1 Teaspoon Tumeric
– 2 Teaspoons salt
– ½ to 1 Teaspoon crushed cayenne pepper (optional)
– 5 Cups water
– 2 Cups coconut milk
– ½ Cup chopped fresh Cilantro
– 1 Eggplant
Steps to the awesome curry:
1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
2. Then add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for like 45 seconds till they are nicely brown.
3. Now add the garlic, don’t let them burn! Mix them with the cumin seeds.
4. Stir in the tomatoes then add the ginger, coriander, turmeric, salt, cayenne and eggplant. Stir this for like 5 minutes till the oil glistens.
5. Now add water and Mung beans. Bring the mixture to a boil and then put the heat on low. Cook this for 30 minutes. Make sure the beans are cooked at this point.
6. Add the coconut milk and the shrimps and increase the heat a bit. Stir in the fresh coriander and plate.