Due to some craziness I wasn’t able to post my blog yesterday! So I am very sorry for that… However I have an amazing post for you all today! My boyfriend has been introducing me to some amazing Greek dishes lately and this is one I really wanted to share with you all. WARNING: this takes forever to make, so do not start making it at 19:00 unless you are willing to eat at… 22:00
So today I share with you a typical Greek recipe, Gemistes, which means stuffed, and in this case we made both Tomates Gemistes, and Piperiés gemistes.
Make sure that you get some nice big peppers and tomatoes.
- Olive oil
- Medium onions (finely chopped)
- 1 Pound minced beef
- 1 ½ cup jasmine rice
- 30 oz Peeled and diced canned tomatoes
- 5 BIG tomatoes
- 5 Green peppers
- ¼ Cup pine nuts
- 2 Tablespoons parsley
- ½ Cup raisins
- 3 Medium potatoes (sliced)
The Peppers and Tomatoes:
- Wash your veggies well, and then slice off the tops (make sure to do this nice, so that you can put them back on top after!
- Now clean out the peppers, and take out the inside of the tomatoes (do not throw away the insides of the tomatoes though!).
- Now season the insides of the peppers and tomatoes with 1/8 teaspoons sugar, and 1/8 teaspoons salt.
- In a pan heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Then sauté the medium onions and minced beef.
- Now add the uncooked rice, the canned tomatoes, and the innards of the tomatoes. Now add the pine nuts, parsley and raisins as well.
- Bring this all to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and let this cook for about 30 minutes.
- (set oven to 190 degrees Celcius)
- Place the tomatoes and peppers on an oven dish. Put the filling into the tomatoes and peppers, and put the tops back on the peppers and tomatoes. In the space between the veggies stick the potatoes. Now add a mixture of 1 part olive oil, and 2 parts water to the pan.
- Put the dish in the oven for about 90 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked properly. While cooking make sure you drizzle the water and oil mixture onto the tomatoes and peppers to prevent them from drying out.